Thursday 21 October 2010

Dear Diary, Thursday

I was so busy last week I didn’t have time to blog.
So this week I thought I’d write up a diary of last week to give a little insight as to what I get up to, where I do it and who I do it with!




Thursday 14th

An exception to the norm today as I join the throng of commuters heading into central London. I truly could not be happier at having relocated my work base out of the City of London. The sheer additional quality of life, not to mention the time gained, by NOT commuting each day is fabulous. However, today, my Oyster card will be pushed to the limit!

From Putney to Waterloo on 'the big train' as my son used to call it and then underground. My destination is The Institute of Directors on Pall Mall to meet with a software supplier. I am currently updating my CRM system having used ACT for many years but wishing now to migrate to a ‘cloud’ based solution. This will give greater security and flexibility.

Onto the tube and from The West End straight back to SW London and a meeting in Wimbledon. The client was recommended to me by their accountant. Over the years the client has built up a number of investments, in a number of places, with a number of providers. Some have been good, some not so good and some not very good at all. Having thoroughly reviewed the portfolio (at no cost to the client – this is so they can experience my work for what it is and to see if I really ‘do what I say I will do’ – this is a courtesy I extend to all introduction from accountants or solicitors) I make my recommendations. A short big red bus bus ride shared with some college students (and without wishing to sound TOO Victor Meldrew I am sure I didn't make this much noise or mess or swear quite so much was I was a lad...) takes me to their home.

At the first meeting the client expressed concerns over the investments in that they didn’t know what they had, where it was, how much it was costing or how it was doing. They also expressed a desire to ‘simplify’ the whole situation, their desire these days (in retirement) to have a less hands-on approach with a preference for being told what was happening in a clear, jargoin free manner .

I was delighted to be able to provide that service and now the administrative task begins of consolidating the investments to bring lower cost, simplified administration and regular monitoring and management.

Jumping back onto public transport I zoom all the way across London from West to East, taking in the main line rail, the tube, and the new overhead network, to a meeting at a corporate client in Shoreditch. Today I am wearing full smart business attire which looked fantastic at my retired client’s home but looks hugely out of place in the trendy hotspot of East London (Not only does my suit mark me out as an outsider but also the use of the words here, ‘trendy’ and ‘hotspot’!)

Transport for London (TfL) seems to be conspiring against me and I have to be there by 4pm so I run the mile or so from the station to their office, in formal shoes, suit & tie and with case. Only to find their lift out of order and I need to walk up the 8 flights of stairs.
I arrive on time, just, and more than puffing lightly!

A very enjoyable meeting with the MD, helping to tidy a few pensions collected over previous employments and then a short while with a new key employee, enrolling him into the pension scheme and assisting with a few elements of generic financial advice in other areas whilst there.
Many employers engage me to perform this role, reasoning that if their key employees have access to a trustworthy, dependable, independent adviser to assist with financial matters it is a valued employer provided benefit and saves the employee having to DIY their finances in their own time (or even sometimes in worktime!)

Reversing my travel I head back East into town I have the carriage to myself for a while until we pass through the middle and continue out to the West and I am joined by the commuters heading home. Squeeze off at Putney and then walk the brief journey home grateful I won’t have to spend as much time on trains tomorrow as I have today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.