Monday 18 October 2010

Dear Diary, Monday

I was so busy last week I didn’t have time to blog.
So this week I thought I’d write up a diary of last week to give a little insight as to what I get up to, where I do it and who I do it with!

Monday 11th October
Having made my son what I thought was a breakfast fit for a hard day at school, a delicious bowl of porridge with chopped bananas, I was greeted with the response that ‘he’d rather have coco pops’. Now I know how Jamie Oliver feels!

A busy retirement
The working week then began with a meeting in the Putney office with a client who recently retired from a career in banking. As with many retired clients he seems to be busier now than when he was working!
The meeting was around the ongoing management of an investment portfolio and the portfolio construction for the pension retirement income. As is usual in situations such as this we also strayed into estate planning matters. I now have a number of questions to answer and finer details to clarify before we proceed further.

Family Matters
Then a dash out of the office to the train station (anyone who is also on www.foursquare.com could track me at this point!) and to ‘Sunny Brighton’.
The pleasure of meeting a prospective new client was tinged with sadness at the circumstances. Too often tragedy strikes when we least expect it and this gentleman was dealing with a recent bereavement of a too young wife and mother to a too young family.
Despite the circumstances the time together was positive and I feel well able to help (in purely financial matters only) the family move on from what has happened and position themselves for their future.

Life is a jigsaw
Then straight back to Putney for a meeting in the office with a client that I have only fairly recently started working with. It has taken the best part of six months to unravel their previous financial position thanks to the existing providers giving almost no information on small matters like performance or costs! We have started to work out a plan to determine if they have enough money to last a lifetime. A huge part of my work is helping people to discover “How much is enough?”. With this client the pieces of the jigsaw are almost all in place but to continue the analogy there seems to be a corner piece missing. I have left them with a few questions and if the answers are positive then we’ll complete the jigsaw and admire the view – but if the answers are not as hoped we may well be scrabbling around on the floor or simply hoping to find the missing piece down the back of the sofa…

Injury Time
Monday finishes with a particularly pleasing event for me. My first game of squash for over six months, thanks to a knee injury in the spring and then tearing an ankle ligament in the summer after falling – and in case you wonder the fall was non-sports related - and also non alcohol related before you ask!
To hammer home the time that had passed my regular squash partner had no idea I had set up Green Financial as a stand alone entity and last time we played my wife and I had just had the 12 week scan for the new baby, now due any week!
The score on the night: Well, that’s not important. It’s the taking part that counts…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.